Monday, February 8, 2010



It has been a hard week. Monday I received news that my dad may have cancer. What was supposed to be one day of waiting for a diagnosis turned into a week. A week of worrying, praying, trying to distract myself, and hoping. Anyone who knows me well knows how much I love and admire my dad. Anyone who knows him, knows why that admiration is so strong. He is an amazing man, one of the best.

After meeting with the oncologist yesterday we still do not have a specific diagnosis, but we do know that he has a type of blood cancer. If it is the type they are suspecting he will have to live with it for the rest of his life, but should be around as the doctor put it "for many years." That makes me hopeful. I am in awe at my parents reaction to this scary time. They are so faithful, and courageous. They have chosen faith and find peace in it. I am not sure what the road ahead will entail for them, but I am certain they will face it with their hearts in the right direction. I on the other hand am still scared.

6 comments:

runningfan said...

I'm so sorry! What tragic news. I hope you can find some comfort during this difficult time.

Danielle said...

My heart goes out to you, like you would not believe just reading that makes my heart drop. I hope you will have many more years, if you ever need to talk leave me a comment, and we will get in touch. I will pray for your family.

Tanya said...

Kayla, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Tasha Alycia said...

Kayla,I am very sorry to hear about your dad. Having a sick parent is very scary. My heart too goes out to you, your family will be in my prayers.

Natasha said...

Oh, Kayla. I don't know what to say, except that I don't blame you for being scared, and that my stomach knotted when I read your post. I'll be thinking of you, and keep us posted.

Wynd said...

We are praying for your family and hope good news comes! It was great to see you and get an update on your dad. Love you very much.