Sunday, April 17, 2011

Claire Shannon

Claire Shannon joined our family on Monday April 11 2011!


I was very happy when I discovered I was pregnant with Claire. As my pregnancy progressed, however, I found that my emotions were very different than those I felt when I was carrying Josh. With him it was joy and happy anticipation. This time around I was excited and grateful, but my overriding emotion was nervousness. I knew I wanted another child, but began to wonder if I was quite ready for another newborn. I had memories of sleepless nights and hours of inconsolable crying. I worried how I was going to do that again and care for the needs of my boys. I also had in the back of my mind the concern that she may be born with a genetic disorder. Some of my early ultrasounds showed signs of potential anomalies that could not be confirmed until birth. At the risk of sounding too idyllic I have to say that every aspect of this birth has turned out better than anticipated: the c-section went well, my body is recovering quickly, Josh has responded well, she is healthy, she is happy, we are all in love.

Day 1






What an indescribable blessing and experience it is to have a new little spirit in our home! I could not have hoped for a more pleasant baby. She rarely cries and when she does is easy to console. I find myself overwhelmed with joy and love and am amazed at how quickly that love comes. I also feel a huge weight of responsibility as I consider how innocent she is. I love this season of life when my children are little, and know I will miss it when it's gone. I look at both of them and am grateful that I can make them happy easily. I can shelter them from much of the ugly in the world and help them work through their challenges. I also realize how important it is to prepare them for the time when I can't shelter them and when their challenges may be beyond me.
Day 2:



Day 4:



Day 5:

Josh is quite taken with her. When she cries he runs into the room saying, "oh it's alright, it's alright! She wants me, she wants me!" He is very gentle with her and will let you know if you are not being gentle enough. He has taken this big brother thing very seriously and revels in it. He has started doing little things that validate his "bigness" like voluntarily taking out the garbage (which is as big as him), taking a shower instead of bath, and riding his bike without training wheels. Oddly enough she is quite content to be held by him; most often she will fall asleep in his arms.

Day 6

Day 7

6 comments:

Chels Allred said...

she is SO beautiful kayla. As are your pictures of her! Congrats to you guys!!

Meg said...

Amazing pictures Kayla, she is adorable!

Danielle said...

She is beautiful! congrats:)

Heidi said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful.

Emily said...

She is SO gorgeous! I love the dark hair! Congratulations!

Wynd said...

She is beyond beautiful! I am so happy that she is a good baby. That can make all the difference! I love your pictures!