Josh has been into make-believe for quite some time, he prefers it to any other activity most days. Sometimes when I'm really involved in his game he will check with me to make sure I know that we are "just pretending" and has always been good at distinguishing between reality and fantasy. The last few days he has been obsessed with super-heroes and more specifically being a super hero himself. As he was absorbed in plans to rescue people from the bad guys packing various weapons and tools in his little bag, I began to realize that he was serious. I said something about pretending like we could see through the walls to which he looked at me with disgusted pity and said, "no Mom we're going to be super heroes for reals, not pretend." He has been looking for bad guys the last few days in hopes of an altercation and opportunity to show his great strength. He's just ichin' to use his many tools (drum stick, foam sword, kitchen fork, toothpaste). He has called his dad, a police officer, numerous times to let him know that if any of the bad guys get away from him to call us and we will take care of them :). At the risk of breaking his heart I explained that super heroes aren't real, but a story that someone made up. I told him that we can be heroes by looking for people who need our help. We talked about different heroes like fire-fighters and police officers and how you don't have to have super powers to be a hero. It all went in one ear and out the other, tomorrow he has great plans to go down to the park because he thought he saw some mean men there last week.
Claire keeps bringing me this pirate hat of Josh's to put on. I have bought her two adorable sun hats and a cute little snow hat this winter, each of which she cried or promptly ripped off. For some reason this pirate hat makes her very happy she will crawl around with it on for quite sometime. :)
Trying to get everything finalized with our house has been one bump in the road after the other, but I'm feeling more settled about the area at least. We went to the park near the house last week and met a number of people; 3 moms from our new stake and one dad from our ward. They all love the area and more importantly raved about how wonderful the elementary school is. Education in Clark County is one of the worst in the nation and is a major reason I have been so weary to plant roots here. Hearing such unsolicited positive reviews about the school makes me hopeful.
1 comments:
Loved the pics! I am so glad they have imaginations that let them explore the possibilities.
Happy to hear the good reports about the school and know that one of the best things about elementary school is that you can be a part. Seeing what is going on is better than anything for noting quality and being in the classrooom creates another level of accountability. This is such an excting time!
Post a Comment