Saturday, June 12, 2010

I have lots of post and fun pictures to blog, but it won't be happening anytime soon. Things have been a little crazy around here and we are leaving for Virginia on Wednesday. Here is a bulleted list of some things that have happened in the last two weeks:
  • Justin turned 30!
  • I turned 28.
  • We spent memorial day weekend in Pine Valley at the cabin. Fishing, hiking, playing with family. Took lots of cute pictures!
  • Received word that my dad will be in Salt Lake City undergoing rigorous cancer treatment including aggressive chemotherapy and stem cell transplants for 6-8 months.
  • Left for Salt Lake to be with my dad before the treatment starts.
  • Turned around when Josh was diagnosed with strep throat. We stayed home until he had been on antibiotics for 24 hours and was no longer contagious.
  • Josh and I spent almost a week in Salt Lake with my parents and sister. We found out that the treatment will be more difficult than anticipated, and that his back is broken as a result of the cancer, but were also told that there is a 40-50% cure rate. Originally his doctors said there was no hope for remission and he would be living with cancer for the rest of his life. This is wonderfully hopeful news!
  • Went to the Hogle zoo.
  • Desperately missed my camera that I left home with Justin for a photo shoot.
  • Found out my older sister is having a boy!
  • Spent time with extended family that feels like immediate family.
  • Spent three days in Cedar with my sister trying to get my childhood home ready for new renters. This means a lot of yard work!
  • Met up with my high school best friend who I haven't seen for over a year. Josh and her son (one year older) got along swimmingly.
I have had a difficult time shedding a positive light about my dad's cancer, and so I haven't written much about it. Trying to articulate my feelings regarding the situation has been near impossible. I worry about my dad all the time. The miles that normally separate us make me feel disconnected and uninformed, but finally I was able to be with him. It was shocking to see him at first. He doesn't look like himself and is clearly very sick. I have felt a gamut of emotions this week, but I left feeling hopeful that this may not be a part of his life forever. I am scared and anxious for the difficult road that is ahead of him, but I feel much more settled that things will be alright in the end.

Josh and I returned from our travels late last night. Today has been a day of catching up and trying to get prepared for our upcoming trip. My garden is nearly overtaken by weeds. I never imagined they would grow that much in one short week! The tomatoes are red and ready to eat. I am overwhelmingly behind on my schoolwork though much closer to where I need to be after four straight hours of focus today. Josh and I spent the morning tackling the weeds. One good thing about large weeds is you feel like you are accomplishing so much more when you pull one out and have cleared a huge spot! Josh thoroughly enjoyed playing in the mud. I couldn't resist snapping a few photos. (Note the mud in the hair)










So there is my bulleted list that turned into a list plus a bunch a rambling!

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Im so sorry to hear about the treatment your dad and your family is going through. once again if you ever need to talk let me know i truly feel for you and have been there. i'll be praying for you and your dad:)

Rob said...

Thanks for posting. I loved seeing this entry and all the pics and I cannot WAIT to see you all in person in just a few days!!

Unknown said...

Kayla! I heard about your dad and hope everything is going well.
And I just learned you have a photography business....which is a good thing because I noticed what AWESOME pictures you take.