Saturday, September 14, 2013

Sometimes I get so caught up correcting my children's behavior that I fail to fully appreciate the little people that they are.  This summer I spent a lot of time around other children Josh's age, it has helped me notice and appreciate some things about him that I hardly think about and take for granted.  Thought I ought to jot them down.
I never really think about the fact that he is so brave and willing to try new things, or how much easier this makes my life.  He will try any water slide, roller coaster, or piece of sports equipment you offer him.  He is getting old enough that we can do a lot of fun things together.  I also appreciate how honest he is.   That kid wouldn't lie to save his life!  He is shocked when he sees someone being dishonest  Not sure why he has narrowed in on this virtue, but I'm grateful.  He is also a very good helper.  He loves to organize drawers and closets and is often the one to get me motivated to get things cleaned up.  (as long as it is his idea :))


Love my Claire girl too.  She is getting spunkier by the day.  When I tell her she can't do something she will tell me that she talked to her other mom who said it was alright :).  She also calls me "mean mom" on a regular basis, and has an independent streak that includes not listening to a word I say unless there is imminent consequence.  This girl is creative, while she prefers a companion she can entertain herself for hours and has begun playing make-believe with her toys and stuffed animals.  I love listening to her little scenarios.   I will ask her to tell me a story and without pausing she will begin an elaborate tale.  I love that she loves books and am impressed with how quickly she memorizes the words.  I will hear her reciting books to her doll and stuffed animals that I have only read a couple times with impressive accuracy.  She is happy to read by herself and often prefers it to having books read to her.  She has a great memory and is our go to girl when something is lost in the house, she is often the one who will find it remembering where she saw it.

It is such an experience to witness these little ones grow and see their personalities take shape.  It's interesting to see how different they are and how their personalities blend to create a sibling relationship that I hope will be strong and rewarding.  Sometimes I wish I could just freeze time...

2 comments:

Granny Shanny said...

They are a couple of sweethearts and while keeping them little sounds fun....if you did you would miss out on GRANDKIDS.... and that would be sad indeed!

Natasha said...

I love when spending time with other kids helps me more aware of the little gifts and talents my children possess that I hadn't fully appreciated. Love this post.