Saturday, December 10, 2011

Remember how I said I was setting aside time each week to post? I'm not. The deadline for my online classes is Jan 21 my papers keep taking me about 20x's as long as they should. I am in pre-panic mode: blog takes a seat on the back-burner. On that note I do have a few things I wanted to jot down real quick.

I have been feeling a bit homesick for my family lately, but at same time really happy to be spending Christmas at home. I always start to feel very settled and adjusted a year into a move, we've been in this house for just over a year now. We put up the Christmas tree last weekend, and I even convinced Justin to put lights on the house. I'm very pleased with how everything turned out. Having a Christmas tree inside makes everything so warm and cozy feeling, I wish we could keep it up all year! I keep wanting to add more lights and maybe just spray some sort of sparkling glitter all over everything! :) It has been fun to involve Josh more in the giving aspect of Christmas this year. He picked out gifts for each family member on his own, curious what he thought I might like. We went to see Santa this week at Bass Pro Shop. There wasn't a line at all and they gave us a complimentary picture. Claire smiled right after they took the photo, but you can't complain when it's free! When Santa asked Josh what he wanted he said, "I would just like you to bring me a surprise please." His request kind of surprised Santa, who said he had not heard that one yet. It is the same thing he has told me, which has made shopping fun and easy, for the most part. I have asked him a couple of times if he wants to write a letter to Santa, he has not been interested however he did say, "Mom let's write dear Santa could you please bring me a remote control car, and a remote control helicopter love Daddy ." Thought that was sweet because Justin really does want a rc helicopter and has been trying to convince Josh to want a rc car :).



We had a tradition in my family growing up that we would get our own ornament each year. Slowly my collection grew so that when I got married I had a big box of ornaments to start my own tree. I love my tree and all the cherished memories those little ornaments represent. Here's Josh's pick for this year. He chose this one because he said, " it reminds me of the plane that flew over mine and daddy's heads at the airshow we went to."

random picture of Claire 12-08-11


Josh has a new nightly ritual. He keeps a small notepad and pencil beside his bed, just before lights out we write down three things he wants to make sure to do the next day. The list varies from "play fire station" to "clean the bathrooms with Mom." It is very important to him. Every night after the list is made he rips it out, sets it on the top step so he won't miss it when he comes down for breakfast, and asks his dad to "please not touch this when you wake up." This was completely his idea (aside from my suggestion that we list only 3 things.), but it sounds like something I would do. I love lists, planning, and goal-making. I quite like this new activity. He makes me smile.



Here's his list from a few weeks ago.

1. Play Batman

2. Take pictures of him and Claire (I did not suggest this)

3. Have a read-a-thon

Service: Smile at people we see at the library and say "hi". (November we tried to do an act of service each day as part of a Family Night activity. We added it to our nightly list.)


Some pics from our photoshoot. Pictures taken by me, theme and clothing chosen by Josh :) 11/17/2011:








I have a number of incomplete post in my drafts box. Maybe I will post them for history purposes one of these days.

2 comments:

Granny Shanny said...

So very nice to see a new post! We are missing you guys too. Isn't it wonderful that we live in this tech age where we can call, and send pictures instantly? Doesn't take the place of a hug and giggle but sure is better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! ;0)
You need to add a picture of your beautiful tree, it is sooooo pretty.
What a great habit that boy is developing. Taking charge of our time is one of the hardest things to learn, hope he keeps it up! What a great big brother for a sweet little honey!
I am so proud of you figuring out a way to finish your schooling, keep up the good work, it will be well worth it in the long run. XOX

Emily said...

What cute kids you have! Good for you going back to school - I have a very similar major, so I can totally relate! Hang in there, you can do it and it's so nice when the info you learn applies to raising children and your family.

I would still love to get together with you sometime, but I bet between the two of our busy schedules, that would be a challenge.

Hope things are good and enjoy the holidays!!